Friday, December 22, 2006

Booked

I find reading books really draining. I started to read out loud which makes it easier, for me at least, but is quite irritating for anyone listening (I know, coz they tell me, I do only do this at home). Some people look astounded when you tell them that you've only read a handful of books and I do feel embarrassed by it. I would like to have read more, I feel I ought to have read more. But I also think that as with most things in life, there are certain things which come more easily to you than others, and for me, reading books isn't one of them. So this blog is for anyone who struggles with reading books.

I can read other stuff and I do - I read lots of blogs - I even read bits of the newspaper occasionally and I read manuals (if I absolutely have to), but anything more than a few pages is like climbing a steep hill.

3 comments:

chris164 said...

I'm completely useless at books. Most of the time i end up with a head ache within the first few minutes. If i carry on though i start getting paranoid that i'm not reading fast enough, so i start skipping pages, before i know it i haven't a clue what the story is about. Then i feel like i just wasted a whole load of time. So i just accept that i'll watch a movie instead, or if anything read a fact based article. Reading novels just doesn't suit me at all

Alec said...

Apparently, the Victorians considered reading to be a skill that people had to work at to acquire. They would specify the correct posture and attitude or approach to the book, where you were expected to read slowly and carefully, and think about the words.

This may have been because the Victorians (at least the wealthy, well-educated ones) had lots of leisure time without ready-made entertainment, and they were desperate to fill their time. It may also have led to the idea of benefactors and doing good works.

Anyway, the idea of reading skill is no longer current (perhaps because we're surrounded by so many printed words, and most of them ill-chosen and poorly put together).

I reckon we've lost a lot by this. I would far rather concentrate on a few good books than quickly skim lots of shoddy ones, but I'm afraid I go for quantity these days, sometimes just to stop myself thinking.

tone the blueshawk said...

when I was in my teens my best friend turned me on to science fiction (a much, and unjustly, derided form of writing) and I have devoured books ever since. I suppose I was lucky I didn't have to work at the skill, it seemed completely natural. Recently, since I've become ill, I struggle to concentrate on reading - this troubles and saddens me greatly. Strange cos it's not a general loss of concentration - only reading.
What I do feel certain of is that we each have differing sets of skills - I have virtually no capacity for sports (a source of much embarassment when I was younger) - Tone