Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Words.

This is from a speech by Arundhati Roy. When I lose my way a little, I read this and it helps me a great deal. It reminds me to concentrate on what I think are the important things in my life.

To love. To be loved.
To never forget your own insignificance.
To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you.
To seek joy in the saddest places.
To pursue beauty to its lair.
To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple.
To respect strength, never power.
Above all, to watch.
To try and understand.
To never look away.
And never, never, to forget

6 comments:

Simon said...

Thank you very much for your supportive comment. It was a nerve racking experience but a very worthwhile and rewarding one to!!

Simon said...

A beautiful and inspireing piece of prose! Uplifting and thought provoking! Simon

purkul said...

hya etcb,

brill that, just brill!

top stuff!

purkul
x

klahanie said...

Hi Emma-
Thank you for posting that speech. It focuses on what are really important things in making us better humans.
I am grateful to you Emma for suggesting I participate in this 'mindbloggling' experience. It is most inspiring. So thanks Emma.

Domenica said...

Hi Em,
I really liked the words contained in the speech. Very inspiring and very true!
I think we all need reminding at times of what actually IS important and what IS NOT! It serves to help channel our energy in the most appropriate direction. Dx

tone the blueshawk said...

deep thoughts, wonderfully expressed - and thank you, that has reminded me to read "The God of small things" again.
Good to see you last week - and I'm looking forward to coming in on Wednesday.

I've just noticed that Bloggers word verification is asking me to type the "word" - "lgoobenc" - any guesses as to what it might mean? I think a a lgoobenc is a small tree permanently surrounded by cows... txxx