Friday, April 13, 2007

Bob, me and the Angel


Last night I travelled to Newcastle Upon Tyne to see Bob Dylan. I had been incredibly fortunate to have been given a pair of tickets by someone who couldn't go (people's kindness and generousity never cesases to amaze me).

The gig was superb - I really felt like I was watching a legend. It was great to see live music again, I haven't done that for a while. Bob played house of the rising sun as a tribute to the Animals who were natives of Newcastle. He's sold 100 million albums and is permanently on tour. He can't be doing this for the dosh.

Newcastle itself was a bit of a treat too - a city not unlike Stoke On Trent in some ways, but it's managed to re-invent itself. The Angel of the North greeted us when we got there. To have that vision and conviction and the courage to make something like that happen - well...(as purkul would say).

It was a great night - thanks to those who made it possible.

4 comments:

Alec said...

Never managed to 'get' Bob Dylan, but I'm glad you enjoyed the gig.

I was a student in Newcastle for five years, back in the 1980s. It was a good place to live then, and it's certainly changed a lot. I've not been back much, but it looks exciting. Must go and investigate those old haunts...

tone the blueshawk said...

...altho you wonder what he does with all the dosh.
I love the Angel of the North - in fact I've never seen an Anthony Gormley work that I didn't like.

And I'm very sorry for "winding you up" over another potential freeby Txxx

klahanie said...

Hi Emma-
So glad you enjoyed the Bob Dylan gig. I assume you made it back...not bad if you had "no direction home..."
"The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind."
:-}

Anonymous said...

Did Bob Dylan sing the House of New Orleans in the concert