Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Yesterday my pond was boiling!

Thought I'd try an attention grabbing headline!

It wasn't actually boiling and it wasn't actually yesterday.

But on Sunday there were literally 10s of frogs doing 'what frogs do' at this time of year (I'm really not sure what they do); all at the same time in our pond. Their combined action was creating tidal waves!

The half a dozen or so cats that congregate in our garden sat mesmerized for hours watching the spectacle. I'm very glad to say that no frog (as far as I could tell) was injured during the show (by a cat I mean). I wanted to take a picture of it, but when we got close they all stopped and when we turned our back they started again. Like something from the 'blue lagoon' I would imagine.

Frogs are great because they eat slugs - except ours don't. We have many many frogs that live in the garden and frankly none of them earn their keep. So...here's hoping for the coming year!

4 comments:

purkul said...

;-)

top stuff, sounds a riot!

purkul
x

klahanie said...

Hi Emma-
Well your headline certainly made me 'hop' to attention.
Sounds like your frogs could use Lilly Pads for Surfboards.
I hope you meant 'slugs' as in the garden variety. To have a frog swallow the other type of slug could have 'explosive' consequences!

Alec said...

Your headline combines the plague of frogs with the plague of boils. Very biblical!

Domenica said...

Hi,

What can I say! Reading your post was like part of a DAVID ATTENBOROUGH wild life documentry. Dx