Friday, July 27, 2007

An autobiography in 5 chapters by Portia Nelson.

Read this and liked it - wanted to share it with you.

Chapter one.
I walked down the street. There is a deep hole in the pavement. I fall in. I'm lost. I'm helpless. It isn't my fault. It takes forever to find a way out.

Chapter two.
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the pavement. I pretend I don't see it. I fall in again. I can't believe I'm in the same place, but it isn't my fault. It still takes a long time to get out.

Chapter three.
I walk down the same street. There is a deep hole in the pavement. I see it there. I fall in. It's a habit. But my eyes are open. I know where I am. It is my fault and I get out immediately.

Chapter four.
I walk down the same street. There's a deep hole in the pavement. I walk around it.

Chapter five.
I try walking down a different street.

5 comments:

Domenica said...

Hi M,

Thank you so much for putting that on your blog....I read that too, some time ago. It made quite an impact on me then.
I could remember the gist of it, but not all the chapters.
Could you please print it off for me, (as you know my printer isn't working at the moment)Thanks...
I'm heading for chapter five..full steam ahead! Warmest wishes to you....D xx

klahanie said...

Greetings M-
Thank you very much for sharing the thoughts of Portia Nelson.
I shall restrain myself from making some silly attempt at metaphors.
When we come to a crossroads in our life we have to decide what option is best for us. In a roundabout sort of way I have often found myself trapped in a negative cul-de-sac.
Now when I come to a fork in the road (ouch! who left that fork in the road?) I try to find the positive pathway.
No more "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". No more "Highway to Hell".
No more "Streets With No Name".
There you go Emma. No metaphors..did you see any inverted commas? Phew!..I think I 'road' my luck with this. :-)
Before I go. Emma, thank you for all your kindness and support. As you know, I have had to test my anxiety levels to the extreme recently. Your encouragement and reassurance has meant so much. You are such a nice person.
Warm wishes Klahanie.

Garfield said...

Hello!

Thank u 4 sharing the autobiography Em!
I like it!
Hope u r doing well :)

garfield

purkul said...

hya ma,

so so so true! did kinda skim read it on hol but the heat or something must have affected my judgment a wee bit!

its so true that, stick sum more on!

purkul
x

Clare Hill said...

I've never read that before. I hope I'm getting towards not falling in the same bloody hole all the time. I hope you are, too :-)